Monday 5 August 2013

Vintage Doilies -Idea Number 1

I am a big fan of vintage doilies! I love all different types from the crocheted ones to the lovely embroidered flowers on linen, I even like the old machine stitched ones. The care and attention lavished on these pieces by their makers amazes me, and I can't help but think that those marvelous women who have gone before us knew a thing or two about just slowing down every now and again to make something pretty.





Speaking of pretty...okay...so this is not pretty at all, it's my toilet door at home...we have a small weatherboard home built in the 1950's and it has the one toilet, but that one toilet has an interior door...and an exterior door???? I know, sounds crazy today doesn't it! But I don't think it was all that strange back then. I've tried to think of why and perhaps it was a way back in the 50's to send the kids out to play but to leave the exterior toilet door open for the call of nature...saved all those footprints from being traipsed through Mum's newly cleaned floors perhaps? Whatever the reason...ideally it has to go, BUT the family budget is not in a position to do anything about it at the moment, and truthfully it's right down there on the priority list.




Over the last couple of weeks I have been soaking, washing and ironing my doily collection...here is a small sample of what I have. I have quite a few ideas for them but on Friday when I was spring cleaning the bathroom/toilet area I decided something had to be done with this window. Initially I had thought that perhaps making a roman blind would be the go, I had even bought the fabric for that, but the more I thought about it the more I realised that the blind would look lovely at night when it was closed...but in the daytime we need the light and so the seriously ugly bathroom and toilet windows would still show, yes I have more than one...I'll save the rest for another day!




You know where I am going with this don't you? Just by pure coincidence I had six lovely rectangle doilies that when all joined together give a lovely coverage of the toilet door window...yay!




So late Friday night...after the spring clean, I quickly pinned and sewed the doilies together. Saturday my trusty husband screwed some hooks above the window and attached some curtain thread. I could have done this myself of course, but I could see he was just getting comfortable dying to help so I thought...why not!




Here is the toilet window now. You may be wondering why I didn't bunch up the curtains a little more to give more privacy, but privacy has never really been the issue. The glass is already privacy glass and I thought if I bunched up the doilies then they would just look like net curtains...which I didn't want...this way you can see the prettiness of doilies. Can't wait to show you the other windows.
 Lisa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment